Mission & History
The Bradish Johnson House serves as the main building for McGehee and was formerly a private home in the Garden District. It was designed by James Freret and constructed in 1872 for Bradish Johnson, a man whose family fortune was based on sugar cane plantations. According to tradition, the home was built at a cost of $100,000. The Louise S. McGehee School moved to its present campus in 1929. Located in the Bradish Johnson House are the school libraries, classrooms and the office of the Headmistress.
The mission of The Louise S. McGehee School is to provide a rigorous college-preparatory education to girls in an inclusive environment which fosters self-esteem, encourages high personal standards, addresses individual student needs, and emphasizes active student participation in the learning process. The program uses traditional and innovative teaching strategies to challenge students and to foster enthusiasm and a commitment to lifelong learning.
Louise S. McGehee School was founded in 1912 by Louise S. McGehee and opened in September of that year at 1538 Louisiana Avenue with thirty students. In 1929, Miss McGehee’s School moved to the current location at 2343 Prytania St. and became a corporation known as the Louise S. McGehee School. In the fall of 1929, there were 209 students and classes began with the fifth grade. In 1962, a new Lower School building was dedicated for grades K through sixth and in 1973, the first Pre-Kindergarten class started school. In the 1990′s, McGehee started an Early Childhood Program “Little Gate” which is a co-educational program for three and four-year-olds. Today, Little Gate has an enrollment of over 150 students. The campus of McGehee has evolved quite a bit since moving to the current Garden District location. McGehee currently encompasses almost an entire city block with nine buildings and over 100,000 square feet of space. The school celebrated its centennial celebration during the 2011-2012 school year.